BoB’s Treatment History and Our Research – Part 1 – Chronological Order


Between the beginning August 2002 and October 2002 Bob was prescribed a variety of pain killers, anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants to try and stop the excruciating pain in his left shoulder, forearm, hand and fingers.

There were lots of visits to the GP’s surgery and Accident and Emergency during this period, each time they would either increase the dose of the medication, change the medication or add more, but nothing helped.

After several visits with no improvement in his condition he was seen to hospital for an examination by an Orthopaedic consultant who then prescribed additional medication and referred him for investigative physiotherapy.

Between the end of August 2002 and beginning of October 2002 Bob attended the investigative physiotherapy on a weekly basis.

By the beginning of September 2002 Bob was suffering with intolerable pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and fatigue/exhaustion, by the end of September he had started to lose weight and muscle tone with ever increasing bouts of sickness, diarrhoea and extreme tiredness.
His muscles were very weak and he also experienced muscle cramps, any activity, immediately and dramatically increased the pain throughout the left side of his body. He also experienced severe pain in other muscles and joints all over his body.

Consequently, because of the above symptoms Bob was unable to attend all of these appointments.

The last appointment he attended was the beginning of October 2002; the physiotherapist took one look at him and immediately noticed that he had lost a lot of weight; 36lbs in just 14 days. The Physiotherapist immediately phoned the senior partner at his GP’s Surgery, who made him an emergency appointment to see him that day.

When Bob saw the senior partner at the surgery that day he was taken off all medication and was referred for an emergency appointment at the medical clinic for the sudden weight loss to be investigated. Blood tests were also taken at the surgery but found nothing.

By the time he received an appointment for the medical clinic in November 2002 his weight was in recovery, although all of the other symptoms were getting worse and Bob was now also suffering with excessive sweating and palpitations.

The medical clinic could offer no help or explanation for any of his symptoms but gave him a follow up appointment.

He was also given an X-ray at the GP’s surgery which showed nothing.

By the time he received an appointment for the medical clinic in November 2002 his weight was in recovery, although all of the other symptoms were getting worse and Bob was now also suffering with excessive sweating and palpitations.
The medical clinic could offer no help or explanation for any of his symptoms but gave him a follow up appointment.

During the period between November 2002 and July 2003 Bob saw the GP several times and was prescribed further medication for pain relief, this medication did nothing what so ever for the pain so the GP increased the dosage.


By March 2003 Bob had to be taken off the medication as the side effects were too debilitating.

In March 2003 Bob also gave the GP a typed history of his symptoms as it seemed that they were not listening, as a result the GP referred him back to the Orthopaedic consultant for further investigation of his shoulder, arm etc and his ‘other symptoms’

The orthopaedic consultant referred him for an EMG test (nerve conduction studies) and advised Bob that they would not investigate his other symptoms until they had the results of this. Although the consultant did inform Bob that it was highly unlikely that his other symptoms were connected to his shoulder problem.

During this period Bob was also prescribed medication for the Diarrhoea but again the medication caused him severe side effects and was taken off them.

In August 2003 Bob had to attend an appointment with a disability doctor, who diagnosed his shoulder as Physical Neuralgia and his other symptoms as classic ME. He also informed Bob that the dose of the medication he had been on earlier in the year should not have been increased as Bob would be highly sensitive to all medication given the ME. He told Bob to report his diagnosis and information to his GP.

The GP was not amused when Bob reported the diagnosis of ME and remarked ‘you have not presented with symptom.

During August 2003 Bob also attended an appointment for the EMG tests, Just as Bob went in for the test there was a fire alarm, we had to evacuate the building for half an hour. The problems began after this when Bob was taken in for the EMG test; the Doctor hurriedly proceeded with the tests and diagnosed the problem with his shoulder arm, hand and fingers as ‘Brachial Neuritis in recovery’.

The doctor had not carried the test out properly, Bob being a control and instrumentation specialist and having been involved in the development and research of this test equipment he knew the test had not been carried out in the correct manner.

When we tried to discuss her diagnosis and the fact that she stated it was ‘in recovery’ Bob asked ‘why is it getting worse then?, she replied in an aggravated manner that because of the fire alarm at the beginning of the appointment she did not have time to explain or discuss anything, in fact at one point she told us to ‘shut up’, she did not have time to talk about it, go home and look it up on the internet!.

We did look it up on the internet and the symptoms did not fit. Consequently Bob ended up with a wrong diagnosis for 12 months!

In September 2003 Bob informed his GP with the results of the EMG test and the fact that the tests were carried out incorrectly and explained why but the GP did not want to discuss this. Bob then tried to discuss the fact that the symptoms did not fit the diagnosis either and the fact that it was getting worse and he was losing the use of his arm, the GP was not willing to discuss this either.

The GP informed Bob that she would refer him to an ME consultant to prove that his ‘other symptoms’ were not ME.
We had also looked up on the internet regarding ME and no he did not fit all the symptoms, just most of them, but whatever it was we needed some answers.

During this appointment Bob also informed his GP that he was experiencing violent pains in his head and behind his eyes with neuralgia over the left side of his face, he was referred for a CT scan, when the GP received the results from the scan Bob was told that it showed nothing other than his brain was normal. The GP did not investigate any further.

In December 2003 Bob saw the Orthopaedic consultant regarding the results of the EMG test; he could not understand the diagnosis either and referred Bob for an MRI scan, which he had in January 2004.


When he finally saw the Orthopaedic consultant in March 2004 regarding the results of this scan it did not shed any light on what was wrong with his shoulder, arm, hand and fingers either. The orthopaedic consultant did not know what else to do so he informed Bob that he would write to an excellent Neurological consultant, which happened to be the same one as the GP had referred him to disprove ME, we informed the consultant of this.

Between January 2004 and April 2004 Bob was tried with several other medications for pain relief by his GP but he had to stop taking all of them after a very short period because of debilitating side effects.

In March 2004 the GP pressurised Bob to give up smoking and prescribed him nicotine patches.

In April 2004 Bob saw the Neurological consultant that his GP and Orthopaedic consultant had referred him to, he gave him a thorough examination but informed us that he could not make a diagnosis as he had not seen the MRI and EMG results.

He also raised concern at what looked like bruises all over Bob’s arms; this was caused by the nicotine patches, the consultant recommended that he saw the GP to discuss this problem and also to suggest that the GP prescribe a lower dose of nicotine patches.

He informed Bob that he would write to his GP after seeing the scans etc

A few days later Bob had an appointment to see the GP, when we arrived were told by the receptionist that he did not have an appointment and that there was no doctor at the surgery. After an argument with the receptionist about the appointment that was made it was established the GP had cancelled the appointment but had failed to notify Bob. Another appointment was scheduled.

Bob expressed concern about needing more nicotine patches and the problem he was having with them bruising his arms, he was told by the receptionist that he would either have to chew gum or suck sweets! Bob left the surgery both stressed and distressed and had a cigarette.

We had to cancel the re-scheduled appointment with the GP as Bob was too ill with exhaustion, increased pain, vomiting, and diarrhoea.

At the beginning of May 2004 the GP surgery contacted us to inform Bob they had received the report from the Neurological consultant, an appointment was made for the following day. To our horror given the time we had waited for this report the GP said she would speed read it for now. The GP then refused to discuss any of the reports contents in detail, the only part of the report the GP was interested in was that the consultant neurologist had stated he had not seen the MRI scan and EMG results, the GP then went on to insist that she had sent these to the Neurological consultant.

As the GP was unwilling to discuss the reports contents Bob asked for a copy of the report, this request was refused, the GP’s reply was ‘you will have to ask to the author of the report!’

The GP then proceeded to prescribe the medication recommended by the Neurological consultant in his report.

Bob tried to discuss the possible side effects of the medication given that all medication so far had caused debilitating side effects.
The GP’s reply was ‘do you not want to take them then?

Bob left the surgery stressed, distressed and disgusted at the way he was being treated and decided to find a new practice.

In the middle of May 2004 Bob saw a practice nurse at the new practice, Bob and I explained his condition and problems to the nurse who then immediately made an appointment for him to see the doctor a few days later.

After taking in all the information about Bob’s condition and seeing his notes, which were very sparse, the new GP concluded that Bob had been let down badly by the medical profession and was horrified that his chronic diarrhoea had not even been investigated and referred him to the bowel clinic for urgent investigation. A blood pressure check revealed that Bob had high blood pressure; the GP said that this was highly likely to be causing the violent pains in his head etc., blood pressure medication was prescribed.

A chest x-ray and blood tests were also carried out at the surgery but neither of these found anything.

The GP had to take Bob off the medication which was prescribed by the Neurological consultant again because it was having severe detrimental effects.

The GP referred Bob to the pain management clinic, homeopathic clinic and back to the medical clinic for a full general medical.
He was also prescribed Anusol to try and help with the inflammation, blistering and soreness associated with the chronic diarrhoea, unfortunately, this did not help much.

At the beginning of July 2004 Bob had a follow up appointment with his Neurological consultant, after discussing the side effects of the medication he had previously prescribed it was decided that he would try two other low dose medications to try and help with the migraine type headaches, muscle cramps and for more generalised pain relief, in the hope that this would give Bob a better night’s sleep, particularly to try and get him some REM sleep which he was severely lacking.

The consultant had also received the results from Bob’s MRI scan and EMG test, he informed us that given the physical examination the he had done on Bob, he did not agree with the Diagnosis of ‘Brachial Neuritis in recovery’.

Bob discussed with him the fact that the test had not been done correctly and explained why, the consultant agreed with Bob and ordered a further EMG test to be carried out by the head of Neurological sciences.

During the month of July 2004 Bob attended the Colorectal clinic for a rigid Sigmoidoscopy to investigate the chronic diarrhoea, he also had to provide three days specimens and was informed he would be sent an appointment for a colonoscopy.

By the middle of July 2004 the GP had received a report from his Neurological consultant, the new low dose medication recommended was prescribed. A blood pressure check showed that Bob’s blood pressure was still high so he had to stay on the medication prescribed for this.
Further blood tests were carried but again showed nothing.

Whilst initially the low dose medication the Neurologist had recommended had some minimal positive effects and did give Bob some better quality sleep, after two weeks the positives had stopped and the side effects were too severe, the side effects caused a further deterioration in his condition and rendered him incapable of doing anything at all, confining him to bed.

After speaking to the GP on the phone we were advised that Bob should stop taking the medication immediately.

Given Bob’s blood pressure was still high, it was clear that the medication was not working and it was also having detrimental effects,so in July 2004 we started searching for anything which might help to lower his blood pressure, first we looked into our diet, whilst we ate a pretty good diet and we cooked most meals from scratch, we found that antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides and other additives added to our food would be aggravating his overall condition and diarrhoea, let alone his blood pressure.

Our research also showed that sugar, processed food and dairy products such as cheese were a big problem too, whilst we rarely ate processed food, Bob was partial to cheese and our main source of sugar in our diet was in tea, we cut these out completely and to minimise the amount antibiotics and pesticides etc we adopted a stone age diet plan using fresh organic produce.

Our research also showed that including foods such as garlic and ginger could have a positive effect on blood pressure so these were also included in our diet on a daily basis.

The change of diet had a positive effect, after about three/four months on this diet Bob’s blood pressure had returned to normal and he was able to stop taking the medication, his blood pressure continued to be normal thereafter.

The headaches and violent pains behind his eyes also stopped.

Whilst this diet did not stop the chronic diarrhoea it did reduce the ferocity of it and helped to calm the inflammation and blistering associated with the diarrhoea. It also dramatically reduced the occurrences of the vomiting which after about six months stopped completely.

At the end of August 2004 Bob attended the Medical Clinic for the full medical requested by his GP, Blood tests and urine samples were taken but they informed Bob that his condition was too complicated and that they could not help.

Bob also had the EMG test at the end of August 2004 which was requested by his Neurologist, this time it was carried out correctly.

At the beginning of September 2004 Bob had the colonoscopy to investigate the chronic diarrhoea. After the consultant and anaesthetist discussed with Bob the history of severe side effects when taking medication even with low dose pain killers they decided that it would not be safe to sedate him, they said the danger was that if Bob’s body went into spasms they would not be able to get the camera out.

They carefully proceeded with the colonoscopy without sedation which took about 40 minutes, they were very good with Bob and informed him at all stages during the procedure what was happening and what they were seeing, which was mainly inflammation.

Bob voiced his concern about all the red he was seeing in his intestines, the consultant reassured Bob that the red he was seeing was just inflammation caused by the chronic diarrhoea and that they were not surprised, as this was to be expected in someone who has chronic diarrhoea, not to worry about it. A biopsy was taken of his colon.

In September 2004 Bob received a medical report from his Neurological consultant; The report detailed the consultant’s final diagnosis which was:
1. Multi-Level Cervical Nerve Root Injury on the left with no recovery. 2. Chronic Pain and Fatigue Syndromes  3. Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

He also stated that as Bob was due back in his clinic for a review some additional tests might be necessary, largely for exclusion of less common conditions.

Between October 2004 and December 2004 Bob attended three appointments at the pain management clinic, on the third appointment it was decided that Bob might benefit from seeing the Community Disability Team, Bob was informed that he should receive an appointment for this early 2005.

In October 2004 Bob saw his Neurological consultant to discuss the results of the EMG tests and his Medical report.

He concluded that Bob did not have ‘Brachial Neuritis in recovery’, although he could not give a diagnosis, only report that the EMG test showed he had Multi-Level Cervical Nerve root damage in his left shoulder nerve junction box.

He discussed with Bob that because it was two years since the problem with his shoulder, arm, hand and fingers had started, he could not provide an definite answer as to what had caused this damage, he thought that it was highly likely that a virus had attacked the nerve endings which in turn caused the inflammation, but he confirmed there was no virus active now. He explained it to Bob as a virus had eaten away the nerve endings and now he was left with the damage.

The result of the damaged nerve endings being the consistent pain in his shoulder, arm and hand with consistent tingling and throbbing in his fingers together with muscle wastage in his arm. He had minimal use of his arm and hand etc, the sensors in his hand and fingers were not working, he could not grip properly or feel things properly, he also experienced severe cramp in his hand and fingers.

During this appointment the Neurological consultant also informed Bob that as he had severe side effects from the low dose medication he had prescribed it was not worth trying any other medication because they all have side effects that would be too debilitating for Bob, the consultant also stipulated that Bob should also stay away from antibiotics unless it was a life or death situation and even then he should only be prescribed a certain type of antibiotic, he requested us to report this to Bob’s GP. Further blood tests were also taken.

The consultant also discussed his report and the final diagnosis he had made. He confirmed and assured Bob that he did not have ME and explained why, but that he did have Chronic Fatigue along with Chronic Pain and Irritable Bowel syndrome in addition to the multi-level cervical nerve root damage.

Bob saw the neurological consultant again at the beginning of November 2004 for the results of the blood tests but nothing was found.

The consultant concluded that he could not do anything further to help and that over the time that he had been seeing Bob he had given him every blood test that he could but could not find anything; he also assured Bob that whatever had caused his shoulder problems etc it was definitely not active now.

He suggested that Bob’s ‘other symptoms’ in particular the Chronic Fatigue and chronic diarrhoea were likely to have came about because his body had become intolerant to the medication as these ‘other symptoms’ started after Bob had been given the conundrum of medication between August 2002 and October 2002 and whilst he could not help he would continue to see Bob in his clinic every three months and had told us to phone him any time if we were concerned.

During November 2004 Bob attended the Homeopathic clinic; he was prescribed a cannabis Indica tincture for pain relief and was asked to think about trying acupuncture.

On Christmas Eve 2004 I phoned Bob’s Neurological consultant, we were concerned that his symptoms were worsening rapidly and discussed with him what he thought about homeopathic treatment and acupuncture, his advice was to try them it would do no harm.


When Bob saw the Homeopathic nurse in January 2005 he agreed to try acupuncture and was put on the waiting list.

In January 2005 Bob attended an appointment with the Community Disability Team, given that Bob could not take any medication because of the severe debilitating side effects he experienced we were told that the options were limited.
He was referred for a trial of a tens machine for pain relief and after an assessment examination with a senior physiotherapist he was put on her list for corrective tissue massage to try and help calm the trauma in his lower back, around his waist and left leg.

During the period between January 2005 and April 2006 Bob attended nine appointments at the Homeopathic clinic and had three telephone appointments. Bob was prescribed various homeopathic tinctures but none really helped.

The appointments were initially once a month but from August they became every six to eight weeks, although the nurse had told us to phone her in between appointments for any advice needed.

The last tinctures Bob was prescribed had actually made things worse and affected Bob’s mood in a negative way, the problem was that you could not contact the Nurse and Bob had to stop taking the tinctures as the Nurse did not reply to our calls and Bob received no further appointments.

In February 2005 Bob received a letter from his Neurological consultant regarding the continuity of care following his decision to make a career move away from our area; He had requested an appointment for Bob with one of his consultant colleagues.

In March 2005 Bob attended an appointment with a member from the disability team for the trial of the Tens machine, unfortunately Bob became very ill and was sick during the appointment and could not try the tens machine, after further discussion with Bob the team member decided that the tens machine was not going to help.

As the options for pain relief seemed to be exhausted, we began research for natural pain relief.

Back in November 2004 the first homeopathic tincture prescribed was a cannabis tincture, we knew that cannabis was supposed to be very effective for pain but the tincture had not provided any relief, having not found anything else to help with the pain we researched cannabis, we found that smoking cannabis was reported to provide pain relief, there were many anecdotal reports of its success.

The only problem was that it was illegal. We found a source but still did not go ahead with it because of it being illegal, after months of deliberation Bob decided to try it, enough was enough as he could not stand the pain and discomfort in his shoulder, arm, hand and fingers any longer, the pain was through the roof. Well, it was amazing the pain and discomfort in his shoulder in particular was reduced by about 80%.

In due course Bob discussed this with his GP, Senior physiotherapist and Neurologist, there reply was if it is helping then use it as they could not provide any pain relief because of the severe side effects Bob experienced from all the prescribed medication.

During March 2005 Bob also had an appointment for the results of the Biopsy that had been taken when he had the colonoscopy in September 2004. Nothing was found.

In April 2005 Bob saw the new Neurological consultant, Bob’s condition was discussed and some of the blood tests which were taken previously by his Neurological consultant were repeated, particularly for inflammatory diseases, Lyme’s disease and to check his anti bodies, all of these tests apart from Lyme’s disease came back negative.
The Lyme’s disease test came back equivocal so a further test for Lyme’s disease was carried out at the GP surgery at the request of the neurological consultant, this came back negative.

A follow up appointment with the neurological consultant was scheduled for November 2005.

The corrective tissue massage started in June 2005; Bob attended these appointments on a fortnightly basis throughout the year.

Bob had limited and temporary relief from the pain and discomfort in his lower back, waist and left leg, usually only lasting for a few hours.

Bob had a course of acupuncture treatments between July 2005 and October 2005, apart from one of the acupuncture treatments where Bob felt very alert for the three days afterwards and woke up early in the mornings without brain fog, the acupuncture did not give Bob any other benefits or pain relief.

In November 2005 Bob attended the follow up appointment with the Neurological consultant, as Bob’s condition was not improving the consultant referred him to the Endocrinology Clinic and requested another EMG test to check if there was any sign of
an active neurogenic process.


In April 2006 Bob had the EMG tests repeated by the head of Neuroscientists which was requested by his Neurological consultant in November 2005, the results showed undoubtedly that Bob had suffered some multi-level neurogenic problem but it was not active now.

Bob attended an appointment at the Endocrine clinic in April 2006 to investigate his symptoms of chronic and violent diarrhoea, excessive sweating, adrenalin fight/flight feelings, and fatigue/exhaustion. The consultant physician was very thorough and took the time to listen and discuss Bob’s medical problems and explained the tests they were going to do. Blood tests were taken to check his testosterone levels and his pituitary hormones, Bob also had to provide a 24hr urine test.

The consultant physician informed Bob about a new program called corrective behaviour therapy (CBT) which had been rolled out for depressed patients, whilst Bob was in no way depressed, the physician explained that her understanding of it was that it could possibly teach Bob to train his brain to either switch off or ignore pain, Bob agreed for her to refer him for an assessment for this therapy.

Throughout 2006 Bob continued to have corrective tissue massage with the senior physiotherapist on a fortnightly basis, although he had to cancel two of the appointments due to being too ill with a total energy drain, vomiting and diarrhoea, together with wind and excruciating stomach pain.
He had also developed a hypersensitivity to draughts causing him to sneeze often which dramatically increased the pain in his shoulder.

Whilst the corrective tissue massage did give Bob a few hours of limited relief from the pain and discomfort in his lower back and around his waist, he still experienced incredible excruciating pain and discomfort in these areas at all other times.

In May 2006 the senior Physiotherapist suggested that it may be beneficial for Bob to see a psychologist, to see if they could help Bob to be less tense when walking, the physiotherapist thought that because his body was always sub-consciously tensed when walking it was this that was causing a lot of the pain, severe aches and discomfort he experienced in his lower back and waist.

Bob agreed to this as he was desperate for any help.

During 2006 whilst we were continuing our research for anything to help Bob we found Angel Fingers massage tool. see Angel Fingers.

Angel Fingers is a massage tool with copper Fingers and our research showed that Angel Fingers used the same principles of Corrective Tissue Massage, for pain management and muscle relaxation. We purchased two and took one with us for the physiotherapist on the next appointment. 

At the end of the corrective tissue massage on Bob’s lower back the physiotherapist would use calming strokes down the whole of Bob’s back, when we introduced the Angel Fingers massage tool, the physiotherapist used this at the end of the session instead of using her hands, this calmed the trauma down further, the physiotherapist thought it was the perfect tool for ending a session with and continued to use it in her clinic.

The physiotherapist also taught me how to administer corrective tissue massage so Bob could benefit from it at home as well. 

We used the Angel fingers massage tool in conjunction with the corrective tissue massage at home, it relaxed the trembles he experienced throughout his body and relaxed his muscles. We also found that using the Angel Fingers just before bed relaxed him to point of being able to get to sleep more easily.

The seven copper fingers of the massage tool gently stimulate nerve endings creating warm relaxing tingling sensations that help our bodies to produce endorphins – the happy drug!

In June 2006 Bob attended the appointment with the Psychologist his physiotherapist had referred him for.

Bob needed someone with him at all times because of the crashes he used to experience which would happen suddenly at any time and when they did he would need help to get to a safe place and then home if we were out, together with the fact he needed help and support when walking because of so much pain and his left leg would give way at any time.

He also suffered from brain fog and at times could not string a sentence together and have trouble in retaining information.

We arrived at the appointment only to be told that she did not have Bob’s medical records and that as she had a colleague (a Consultant Anaesthetist) sitting in with her the room was too small for me to be present.

We calmly expressed the reasons for me being there and that Bob was not happy to go in on his own, particularly as she had no medical records and therefore no history, and he could not remember everything, so with reluctance the psychologist agreed.

There was actually plenty of room!

The Psychologist began by asking Bob to explain his medical history, which was very stressful for him to do, so I intervened and explained most of it to her and informed her of the appointments with his Consultant Neurologist and what had been tried previously regarding medications and pacing regimes and that Bob had had severe side effects from the medications and no success with the pacing regimes.

The Psychologist argued with me about some of the information I was giving, particularly about some of the medications and pacing regimes Bob had tried, Bob found this very stressful. Bob tried to explain the problems he was having when walking which is why he had been referred to her, the Psychologist was not willing to listen and insisted that Bob should be trying the things that she was suggesting regardless of the problems he had had with these things in the past and was not willing to discuss the issues, just argued with him.

This appointment resulted in Bob feeling very stressed, frustrated and very ill; he was sweating excessively, felt very sick and had ever increasing pain throughout his body, Bob informed the psychologist that this was making him feel very ill and that he had to leave the room.

Bob left the room and sat outside, I tried to explain to the psychologist what was happening to him but had no success, the psychologist was not concerned in any way about Bob’s condition and the fact that he had to leave the room because he felt so ill.

You could actually see that Bob was sweating profusely, his body was visibly trembling and he had turned very pale.

Bob’s physiotherapist and GP received a letter from the psychologist stating that ‘Bob was clearly not interested in a collaborative approach in dealing with the problems which he described and was verbally aggressive to her’.

Bob was in no way verbally aggressive at any point, just firm, it was very frustrating that the Psychologist would not listen or discuss anything at all, it was just ‘do what I say’ manner. It was very intimidating and certainly lacked due care and attention.

Both his Physiotherapist and GP were shocked and bewildered.

We enquired about how to put in a complaint and to get this removed from his medical records because it was a blatant lie, but it was just going to be further stress and at the end of the day it would not be removed from his records, so for the sake of Bob’s health we decided not to pursue it, his GP agreed that it would be too stressful.

In August 2006 Bob attended a follow up appointment with his neurological consultant, the endocrinology report was discussed; the blood tests showed that whilst Bob’s testosterone levels were in the normal range they were at the low end of normal, the consultant physician stated in the report that this hormone can be affected by stress and strain, it also stated that however Bob had normal levels of testosterone in his blood. The pituitary hormone tests showed Bob’s hormone levels were within the normal laboratory reference ranges and there was nothing to suggest that his pituitary gland was not working properly. The consultant neurologist went on to explain that whilst he experienced flight or fight feelings the tests had also concluded that he did not have excessive levels of Adrenaline being released in his body, the consultant explained that it was his nervous system that was stuck in overdrive.

The neurological consultant explained that as the recent EMG test had not shown an ongoing neurological problem and that they had done all they could to try and explain his physical symptoms he saw no purpose in continuing to see Bob.

The consultant did discuss in detail with Bob about his physical problems and he thought that a psychological/psychiatric approach possibly via the Corrective Behaviour Therapy (CBT) was a sensible route and that no matter what had caused Bob’s problems we should concentrate on any practical measures that might improve them.

Other than the CBT referral and the corrective tissue massage we were now on our own, no one was interested in finding the cause and they could no more.

In November 2006 Bob had a fall due to his left leg collapsing; apart from excruciating pain in his left knee it made all of his others symptoms worse and rendered him incapable of any activity for about four months. He had no energy at all and felt completely exhausted, weak and very shaky, the chronic diarrhoea was even more frequent during the day and night than usual.

Back in 2002 when Bob’s problems started with his shoulder etc he was also bitten just above his right knee, we thought it was a bite from some insect, but it did not heal and it left a small red pimple/lump, throughout the following months and years other small red dots would appear on his lower legs, groin and above his right ear, they too looked like bites but after a while they developed into red itchy sores which then developed white scaly patches on them. Bob reported this many times to his GP and other consultants from the beginning but it was never investigated.


In 2007 Bob attempted to get this issue addressed.

He was due to see his GP about this in January 2007 but as a result of the fall in November 2006 he was too ill to attend. Bob managed to see his GP in February 2007 and the GP diagnosed the skin problems as psoriasis and prescribed Trimovate cream to apply to the affected areas on his legs, groin and above his right ear.

Bob’s finger and toe nails had also become discoloured and distorted, the GP diagnosed this as psoriasis too and prescribed medication to paint on his nails.

The GP also referred Bob to the dermatology clinic for a biopsy of the lump above his right knee to see if this had anything to do with the cause of his shoulder problems etc.

The trimovate cream made Bob feel very ill and nauseous after about seven days so he could only apply it for a few days at a time.

From June 2007 onwards Bob was able to attend the corrective Tissue massage appointments with his senior physiotherapist again.

In July 2007 Bob saw a consultant at the Dermatology clinic, the consultant dermatologist refused to take a biopsy of the lump and informed

Bob that it was nothing to worry about it was just a classic dermatofibroma and that it was just a result of an insect bite.

He confirmed the other skin problems were psoriasis and diagnosed mild psoriasis affecting his nails with onycholysis.

He recommended Trimovate cream, Bob told the consultant that he had been using this and it made him feel ill and nauseous after a few days use and also that when he applied it to the psoriasis above his right ear it gave him a strange sensation in his head, the consultant said he could not explain why and recommended some alternatives and informed Bob he would write to his GP.

In August 2007 Bob had an assessment appointment for Corrective Behaviour Therapy (CBT) with a consultant Liaison Psychiatrist, it was explained that the therapy course would consist of block appointments for weekly attendance and that Bob would be put on the waiting list.

Bob continued to have corrective tissue massage throughout 2007.

During our continued research for anything that would help Bob we came across oxygen therapy, this triggered Bob’s memory back to when he was a young electrical engineer with a head full of broken bottles on a Saturday morning, (after a Friday night out with the boys), he would have 10 minutes on the oxygen and feel brand new and able to run a 100yd sprint in just 11 seconds, on a good day! 

Our research on oxygen began, after many hours of research we found the OXYFARM SA-2500 Oxygen Generator/concentrator, an Oxygen Therapy Machine that naturally produces negatively ionised oxygen enriched air. See OXYfarm SA-2500. 

Prior to purchasing the OXYfarm SA-2500 we found and visited an oxygen bar where Bob had 20 minutes of 99% oxygen, during the hours after this he felt he had more energy and felt a little stronger. 

In October 2007 Bob discussed this with his senior physiotherapist and it was decided that he would go to the oxygen bar immediately before his next corrective tissue massage appointment. 

The results were astounding, whilst normally it would take his body about 15/20 minutes to respond to the corrective tissue massage, his body responded instantaneously after having the oxygen and where normally he would only feel limited benefits from the treatment for a few hours after, this time he felt the benefits for five days! 

Bob repeated this test with the next three appointments and the results were the same, when he did not have oxygen prior to the corrective tissue massage his body took 15/20 minutes to respond and he did not feel the benefits for longer than a few hours, as before. 

We went ahead and purchased the OXYfarm SA-2500, but we did think that because the OXYfarm only gave 30% oxygen enriched air it would not have quite the same benefits, this was not the case, Bob had the same amazing results after having 30 minutes of oxygen using the OXYfarm. 

Being a systems engineer Bob needed to know the OXYfarm worked; how did it give the same results as the 99% oxygen at the oxygen bar? 

The OXYfarm was different to any other oxygen generator/concentrator in that after it enriches the air with oxygen at the purity of 30% it passes this oxygen enriched air through a water chamber creating bubbles which burst on the surface of the water.

Bob’s research showed that by doing this it was naturally negatively ionising the oxygen enriched air just as nature does after a thunder and rain storm, the rain drops burst on the ground which release the negative ions in to the air and the positive ions are left on the ground. Negative ions are responsible for the feel good factor after such a storm.

Further research showed that negatively ionised oxygen is absorbed by our cells much easier and faster, so hence the results when using the OXYfarm SA-2500. 

As a result of the benefits that was seen by Bob’s senior physiotherapist when she was administering Corrective Tissue massage in conjunction with oxygen therapy, she made a case to her manager for the need of oxygen therapy to be used in the pain clinic,

the manager refused, he stated that there had not been enough research on oxygen therapy! 

Bob used the OXYfarm on a daily basis, this eliminated the brain fog, increased his concentration levels, improved his mood and increased his energy levels reducing the fatigue and exhaustion. It was the first time he felt he was going forward. 

As the OXYfarm was highly beneficial for Bob and became an important part of his lifestyle and treatment, we decided that everyone should know about the OXYfarm and how beneficial it could be for everyone and given that his physiotherapist and Neurological consultant said he had to keep his brain more active Live Longer and Healthier product review was born. 

Bob had also been continuing using cannabis for pain relief, whilst this initially gave an 80% reduction in the pain in his shoulder, over time he became tolerant to it and had to use more, the problem with this was that he would feel stoned all the time. When he used the OXYfarm he quickly found that the oxygen therapy was counteracting the stoned feeling which was definitely beneficial!


Between January 2008 and June 2008 Bob had a series of scheduled block appointments for Corrective Behaviour Therapy at the Medically Unexplained Symptoms Clinic. Bob attended the first of these appointments.At the beginning of the appointment Bob explained that he was having corrective tissue massage and went on to explain about the oxygen therapy and the results he had when having had oxygen before his corrective tissue massage, he also informed him that we had purchased the OXYfarm and that Bob had oxygen therapy on a daily basis, it was part of his lifestyle and treatment.

The consultant told Bob that having oxygen was cheating and that not enough research had been done.

Bob tried to explain the benefits he was getting from it but the consultant insisted that it was cheating; stating the benefits were not real and that he should not use oxygen. The consultant then proceeded to explain about the corrective behaviour therapy, Bob had a few questions along the way but the consultant told him that he should not ask questions at this stage, just listen.

The fact that the consultant had said using oxygen was cheating got into Bob’s head somehow and Bob stopped using the OXYfarm, whilst Bob had experienced the benefits from using the OXYfarm he could not get what the consultant had said about cheating out of his head.

Bob also could not understand how the consultant had got into his head and made such an impact on him.

Unfortunately the remaining appointments in the block had to be cancelled as Bob was having a really bad time with the diarrhoea being constant, excessive sweating, feeling really weak and exhausted.

I spoke with the consultant Liaisons psychiatrist’s secretary and explained Bob’s condition.

It was decided by the consultant to cancel the block of appointments scheduled during this period because the appointments were meant for weekly attendance and that he would reschedule for a later date when Bob was hopefully in a better condition and could attend every week. It was arranged and agreed for us to contact his secretary in February 2009 to either confirm a block of appointments which would begin in March/April 2009 or to postpone again.

Between January 2008 and April 2008 Bob had five corrective tissue massage appointments but unfortunately this treatment came to an end in April 2008 because the senior physiotherapist with the hands of an angel had handed her notice in and was leaving the NHS Service to set up a private practice. The physiotherapist had had enough of the pain clinic pushing medications and not being willing to incorporate or try alternative treatments that had proved to be beneficial to her patients.

The Pain clinic said that they could not offer Bob any further treatment due to the fact that he could not take medication because of the side effects, not only that but they also informed him that he should only have had the Corrective Tissue Massage (CTM) treatment for a maximum of six weeks and that he had been having it for over 18 months.

They were not interested in the fact that it was beneficial for Bob and had no answer as to what to do without it.

Continue To Page 2

Download Full PDF Version Of BoB’s Treatment and Our Research
Chronological Order